Summer Offer: P72 vs. D. E. Shaw
Hey Moneys – trying to make a decision between P72 summer academy vs. DESCO fundamental research (L/S equities) - Would love any insight!!
Here is some homework I did, figured I should just share these with you guys, hopefully they can be useful for anyone in similar situations – feel free to correct or add anything :)
- $$$: base - DESCO 180K vs. P72 135K; DESCO has housing/relocation allowance vs. P72 none; bonus – unsure
- Training: P72 has the most established training set-up, 75% of summer and 1st year FT will be classroom + 25% rotation; DESCO you start at a desk right away (not much proper training)
- Strategy: P72 time horizon is shorter - typical MM; DESCO is slightly more longer-term oriented and mandate can be quite flexible
- Career Flexibility: saw P72 , not sure about DESCO; Brett C said MM exiting to SM has been improving
- Return offer: P72 84% last year vs. DESCO pretty low (unconfirmed – mostly based on few comments on WSO – seems around 20%)
Overall, I as a UG am not sure about my true preference of investing style without trying them first – so I care about SM exits/career flexibility here; on the other hand, I am a big fan of $$$, BIG TIME trust me; so now I am kinda running into a dead end now, any advice would be welcome!